Date: 9th September 2006 at 3:00pm
Written by:

Tranmere overcame a resilient Bristol City side 1-0 on Friday night, after an exhilarating evening of Football.

Prenton Park does have a bit of a thing for Friday nights. As Ronnie Moore said before the game, they are special games. This one was no exception. On a still, late summer’s evening, the atmosphere inside the ground was genuinely very good indeed. Just like the old days. It wasn’t restricted to when we’d scored or in the last ten minutes or so – it was 90 minutes worth of constant chanting, cheering and singing.

Rovers lined up unchanged from last weeks 3-0 win over Leyton Orient.

Stockdale McCready Goodison Sherriff
Shuker McLaren Mullin Ellison
Greenacre Taylor

Both sides cancelled each other out in the first half really, but it was a full blooded, compeitive affair. Brizzle looked a tidy outfit. They knocked the ball around well and had pace on the counter attack, just unfortunately for them they looked a little toothless up front.

Paul McLaren got himself booked early on with a mistimed challenge and Rovers had a few early penalty claims, one involved Kevin Ellison whose strong runs forward caused the Robins a few problems.

The Whites first real attempt on goal came on 18 minutes, from who else but Chrissy Greenacre. A cross was swung in by Sherriff on the left, with Chris rising highest, only to see his fine angled header saved well by City keeper Basso.

Sherriff headed over soon after, ahead of Taylor who may have been the better option for an effort on goal. There were a few scrambles around both boxes too, but some good defending meant
that clear cut chances were at a premium.

The half flew by though, with the score still Tranmere 0 – 0 Bristol City.

Rovers really began to up the ante in the second half. The ball was spread superbly around the pitch, with everyone involved. Bristol soon found themselves pegged back and sitting rather deep at the Kop End.

Ian Goodison header from Ellison`s free-kick was goal bound, but despite the Jamaican heading it down Basso was equal to it and made a fine save.

On the hour mark a great move involving Taylor and Shuker resulted in a cross that was deflected away by a defender, inches away from Ellison who had ghosted in at the far post.

Time was running out fast and you began to think that perhaps this was just going to be ‘one of those games` and Tranmere would have to settle for a point despite playing Bristol City off the park, particularly in the second half. However, that elusive breakthrough came five minutes from time.

Shane Sherriff lofted the ball towards the box from midway inside the Bristol City half. Gareth Taylor beat Bristol City sub McCombe to it and knocked it down into space, with John Mullin bursting into the box to dispatch a fine 12 yard volley that beat Basso and found the net. The home fans went wild, and rightly so, as Rovers looked to be on their way to a deserved 3 points once again.

The Robins then pushed forward and stuck the tall defender McCombe up front as they desperately searched for an equaliser. It didn`t arrive, and after a long four minutes of stoppage time Mr J.P Robinson, the Referee, blew his whistle for full-time.

A great game and great performance by Tranmere. Everyone worked tirelessly. The defence stood strong, the midfield worked well and spread the play out to both flanks, and the two front men battled superbly. Ronnie really looks to have got a good thing going now with the team. It`s very much like the fans have got their club back, how they want it. Well done lads, now we`ve got to overcome two big games away to Rotherham and Northampton this week.